Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KABOOM

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    CNN has become ridiculous
    CNN has been ridiculous for a very long time. They only seem comparatively sane when compared to the 24/7 insanity of FOX and MSNBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    CNN has been ridiculous for a very long time. They only seem comparatively sane when compared to the 24/7 insanity of FOX and MSNBC.
    Al Jazeera ftw?

Man, I used to love CNN in the 90s...
    I like hats.

Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Nice graphic. 86 Presidential nominees blocked for all other Presidents combined. 82 Obama nominees blocked.

http://www.upworthy.com/they-did-it-...-obama-alone-6

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Province
    New Jersey
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    Nice graphic. 86 Presidential nominees blocked for all other Presidents combined. 82 Obama nominees blocked.

http://www.upworthy.com/they-did-it-...-obama-alone-6
    Maybe it just so happens that all the other Presidents happened to have picked people who were at least competent regardless of their extremist views or political bent? You want Obama's nominees to be confirmed? First thing you need to do is shit-can Valerie Jarrett because she is the reason Obama appears to be a vacuous incompetent. Or better yet, perhaps Obama's handlers should have selected nominees other than those in the "no campaign bundler left behind" club who have little to no experience doing the jobs to which they were appointed. But hey, cronyism sure seems to work in Chicago and Detroit, so might as well do it in Dc, amirite?!?!

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Wait wait...86 were not "blocked". Again, if you look at the numbers that actually were blocked - as in were not confirmed due to a filibuster, it's in line with the prior Congress and prior modern Presidents. 86 were DELAYED by filibuster, as in people TEMPORARILY blocked them for the purposes of debate, and sometimes so that someone could work a deal to flip their vote. Once you filter out the delays for debate or a deal, there hasn't been what most would call abuse of the filibuster.

There are currently only three judge nominations on the Senate calendar, meaning that they’ve cleared committee and are ready for floor action. In addition to that, two nominees were killed by filibuster earlier this year. Against that are more than two dozen nominees have been confirmed for the federal bench so far this year. Those nominees often had a filibuster, but only for purposes of discussion. They cleared, despite the filibusters.

And now what we're going to see is court packing of the DC circuit. That's not good - it's the circuit that would hear the issue of Obama using executive privileged to bypass Congress on many issues. This is not a good trend for a democracy to be following. I understand the anger over the filibuster, but I think this cure is worse than the disease, and it's shortsighted.
    Last edited by Mistwell; November 25th, 2013 at 03:36 PM.
    I like hats.

Province
    Funkytown
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Gentlemen, I give you Clarence Thomas.
    "When the subway jerks, it's the fixed stars that throw you down."

Here is a tally of federal judge nominations by President Obama that have not failed so far:

Total Confirmed Pending in Senate Reported by Senate Judiciary Committee
    Supreme Court 2 2 0 0
    Court Of Appeals 49 39 6 4
    District courts 211 168 30 13
    US Court of Int'l Trade 2 2 0 0
    US Tax Court 7 5 2 0
    US Court of Federal Claims 2 2 0 0
    US Court of Appeals Armed Svcs 1 1 0 0

I currently do not have the stats regarding nominations that have failed (filibuster or otherwise). If I find that information I will post it.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    the Dems won't even try to rescind this. much like gitmo and wiretapping. once they give the power to some dumbass in office they never take it away.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

life is like a mop COMMUNITY SUPPORTER Dacke's Avatar
    Province
    Lund, Sweden
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    And now what we're going to see is court packing of the DC circuit.
    No, you're not. Court packing refers to FDR's ill-advised attempt to make the Supreme Court more amenable to the New Deal by increasing its size. AFAIK, no-one is suggesting increasing the size of any court, just filling vacancies. Which, I believe, is part of the President's effin' job.

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacke View Post
    No, you're not. Court packing refers to FDR's ill-advised attempt to make the Supreme Court more amenable to the New Deal by increasing its size. AFAIK, no-one is suggesting increasing the size of any court, just filling vacancies. Which, I believe, is part of the President's effin' job.
    i believe Misty wasn't referring to packing in that sense. he meant it will be filled by more Dems. ergo. packed full of Dems. not that the actual number of seats will increase. just the butts in them.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I am surprised Mistwell (being a lawyer) isn't familiar with the historical definition of court packing.

Perhaps he believes the number of judicial seats on the DC circuit should be reduced from 11 to 8. Several Republicans, including Sen. Chuck Grassley [R-Iowa] (who has also introduced the Court Efficiency Act of 2013), Sen. Mike Lee [R-Utah], and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell voiced concerns that the DC circuit is "under-worked" and should have the three vacant seats removed from the circuit and only add two seats (increasing the Second Circuit from 13 to 14 and the Eleventh Circuit from 12 to 13).

Although the DC Circuit may be under-worked, removing a federal judicial seat during the reallocation seems more like a political power play (akin to FDR's court packing, except reducing this president's influence) than for the good of the country. If there wasn't a reduction in the number of seats during the reallocation, I would be more open to it.

@Mistwell, why did you use the term court packing?

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I'm going to Mistwell Mistwell! God I love Mondays!

Likely to talk to the layman, many of whom hear "court packing" and do not hear a specific reference to the practice of creating new judgeships to change the balance, but hear "put as many of the same political view on the (existing) bench as possible".

This may mean they are dumb or lazy or any number of things I'll personally cop to - because that is more likely what I hear when I hear the reference even though when reminded of its origin I think, "Oh yeah, I remember that..."
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    post 42

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Well of course filling vacant judgeships is illegitimate "packing" when those vacancies have any risk of going to "liberal" jurists.

Just look how Souter turned out.

The only way to be safe is to nominate Jonah Goldberg to all the vacancies.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast