Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: KABOOM

Province
    In the snow
    Oratio

Ignore User
    First, the argument that "we don't need these benches filled" seems very much an argument of convenience. By law, if a panel of judge has 7 members, shouldn't all of those seats be filled unless there's an argument against it grounded in, you know, law?

IANAL but it sounds to me like the argument is "but the Right might lose control of the courts!"

And if "packing the court" is the same as "filling vacancies as you're supposed to do", isn't the easiest way to prevent court packing in the future to keep the benches full?

The arguments against filling those vacant seats just seem like more partisan bullshit to me.
    Spoiler Alert!

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    First, the argument that "we don't need these benches filled" seems very much an argument of convenience. By law, if a panel of judge has 7 members, shouldn't all of those seats be filled unless there's an argument against it grounded in, you know, law?

IANAL but it sounds to me like the argument is "but the Right might lose control of the courts!"

And if "packing the court" is the same as "filling vacancies as you're supposed to do", isn't the easiest way to prevent court packing in the future to keep the benches full?

The arguments against filling those vacant seats just seem like more partisan bullshit to me.
    Not panel judges. Just circuit court. If the current court doesn't have enough work to fill the schedules of the existing judges, it's hard to make a case that the government need to fill the other benches is critical. In other words, no, there's no problem with filling those benches, but as a justification to go nuke, it's really, really thin.

First Day On The Internet Calamari Face's Avatar
    Province
    Band of Workermootly Kithish Commonwealths
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by the Jester View Post
    That's essentially it once one strips away the gallimaufry.

Yes, but as Ovi notes, Republicans' partisan bullshit stinks less. A lot less.

I don't think CF and I agree on much at all, and probably not this. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 28 June 2011

I find myself in full agreement with CF. -- Ovinomancer, The Senate, 1 July 2011

Larry Sanders 2016!

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    And I predict this will bite the Democrats in the ass sooner than they hope it will. It was a bad idea to try and change this, and at least one left-leaning Democrat understood that fact today.
    Another Mistophecy has come to pass.
    I like hats.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Yes, but as Ovi notes, Republicans' partisan bullshit stinks less. A lot less.
    You're deluded.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    When the shoe is on the other foot and they're in the minority, they're gonna be the ones whining about it while the republicans gleefully stomp all over them.

Idiots.

I'm not going to feel sorry for them one little bit. They did it to themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Yeah, but now they don't have it at all, so they'll whine, whine whine when they're in the minority.
    Krinke gets a gold star too
    I like hats.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I was right too. I swear, politicians are the most fucking, short-sighted, stupid critter on the planet.
    Last edited by kirinke; July 20th, 2018 at 01:12 AM.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

• Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234