Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest - Pathfinder PbP - Way of the Wicked (An Evil Campaign)

Gauging interest - Pathfinder PbP - Way of the Wicked (An Evil Campaign)

If you've never heard of Way of the Wicked before, it's an AP by Fire Mountain Games that involves the PCs playing evil characters. As I explained to one of my regular players (I'm running this for them), it's not evil insofar as everyone wants to kill everyone else but rather that you're out for revenge.

If there is interest from at least 4, up to 6, people, I'll be happy to run it. Here are some of the basics:

Just what the subject says. If there's enough interest, I would run it. Basically, you'd all be new Pathfinders in Absalom who just completed your training. I'm looking for no more than 6 people.

Interested
    1. Rusty Halo
    2. AuroraGyps
    3. WayneLigon
    4. Fenris
    5. Queenie
    6. diaglo

Alt
    • Wild Gazebo

• Core Rulebook only to be used
    • 25 point buy for attributes (point costs)
    • You get an extra 2 skill points per level at every level
    • All core races are acceptable
    • All core classes are acceptable
    • Max hit points for the first level
    • For subsequent levels, you will have the choice of either a) taking new hit points of half hit die plus one plus CON modifier OR b) rolling your hit die and taking what you roll plus CON modifier; you cannot do both
    • Your characters will start in Branderscar Prison with absolutely nothing for equipment or gold, so no need to go shopping
    • All good and chaotic alignments are disallowed
    • You must either be lawful neutral, lawful evil, neutral, or neutral evil
    • The preferred alignment is lawful evil but it's your choice

LN: A lawful neutral character acts as law, tradition, or a personal code directs her. Order and organization are paramount. She may believe in personal order and live by a code or standard, or she may believe in order for all and favor a strong, organized government. Lawful neutral means you are reliable and honorable without being a zealot.

LE: A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard for whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order, but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises. This reluctance comes partly from his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Some lawful evil villains have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but having underlings do it) or not letting children come to harm (if it can be helped). They imagine that these compunctions put them above unprincipled villains. Some lawful evil people and creatures commit themselves to evil with a zeal like that of a crusader committed to good. Beyond being willing to hurt others for their own ends, they take pleasure in spreading evil as an end unto itself. They may also see doing evil as part of a duty to an evil deity or master. Lawful evil represents methodical, intentional, and organized evil.

N: A neutral character does what seems to be a good idea. She doesn't feel strongly one way or the other when it comes to good vs. evil or law vs. chaos (and thus neutral is sometimes called “true neutral”). Most neutral characters exhibit a lack of conviction or bias rather than a commitment to neutrality. Such a character probably thinks of good as better than evil—after all, she would rather have good neighbors and rulers than evil ones. Still, she's not personally committed to upholding good in any abstract or universal way. Some neutral characters, on the other hand, commit themselves philosophically to neutrality. They see good, evil, law, and chaos as prejudices and dangerous extremes. They advocate the middle way of neutrality as the best, most balanced road in the long run. Neutral means you act naturally in any situation, without prejudice or compulsion.

NE: A neutral evil villain does whatever she can get away with. She is out for herself, pure and simple. She sheds no tears for those she kills, whether for profit, sport, or convenience. She has no love of order and holds no illusions that following laws, traditions, or codes would make her any better or more noble. On the other hand, she doesn't have the restless nature or love of conflict that a chaotic evil villain has. Some neutral evil villains hold up evil as an ideal, committing evil for its own sake. Most often, such villains are devoted to evil deities or secret societies. Neutral evil represents pure evil without honor and without variation.

Clerics and Druids
    • You are not required to worship Asmodeus but there will be a point where you will be required to swear allegiance to him
    • Please do not pick a god to worship that would be opposed to you doing this

Clerics: You will not be able to spontaneously cast healing spells in this campaign since you will not be able to worship a good god

Each of you will have committed a crime that got you into Branderscar Prison in the first place. You are not innocent. You committed an evil act and are therefore to be punished accordingly. You will each need to pick a crime from the attached Player's Guide and will actually gain a listed benefit.

Introduction
    Guilty. You are a lawbreaker – the worst of the worst. Too dangerous to live amongst the good people of Talingarde, they dragged you in chains before a magistrate and condemned you. They sent you to the worst prison in the land and there they forever marked you. They held you down and branded you with a runic F. You are forsaken. You won’t be at Branderscar Prison for long. Branderscar is only a holding pen. In three days – justice comes. In three days – everything ends.

What a pity. If only there was a way out of this stinking rat-hole. If only there was a way to escape. If only…

No. No one has ever escaped from Branderscar Prison. This is where your story ends.

What is Talingarde?
    Talingarde is the most virtuous, peaceful, noble nation in the world today. This land is ruled by King Markadian V called the Brave of House Darius. He has only one heir – the beautiful princess Bellinda. This benevolent monarchy is heavily intertwined with the Church of Mitra, the Shining Lord. You are from Talingarde. This is your home. You have lived here your entire life. And if they gave you half a chance, you would have your revenge on all of them.

Who is Mitra?
    Mitra, the so-called Shining Lord, is the god of the sun, bravery, honor, justice, charity and other such pusillanimous rubbish. The Church of Mitra is the preeminent religion of Talingarde these days. The Knights of the Alerion, the elite warriors of Talingarde, are a Mitran order. The monks of St. Macarius, who travel the land healing the sick and the helping the needy, are also a Mitran order. The House of Darius, the royal family of Talingarde, are devout followers of Mitra.

It wasn’t always this way. Before the Darians took over, Talingarde worshipped an entire pantheon of deities. Preeminent among those deities was Asmodeus, Prince of Hell, Lord of Ambition and Order. Now it is forbidden to worship Asmodeus. To do so is to be condemned. The Mitrans destroyed all the Asmodean temples and burned his books and priests. There are no followers of Asmodeus anymore in Talingarde – at least none you know of. Devout Mitrans will not say the name Asmodeus. He is simply “The Fallen” or “The Enemy”.

How did they catch me?
    You tell me. You must pick a crime (there is a list provided) that you were condemned for. They are only two requirements – you got caught and you really did it.

It’s not surprising that the Talireans (the people of Talingarde) caught you, though. Talingarde is a fiercely lawful and good society. Crime (especially heinous crime like yours) is not tolerated.

Rules of Play
    • At minimum, please post once per day during weekdays.
    • There will be a separate thread for OOC comments. If you must make OOC comments in game, make sure you designate them as such (usually by putting them in italics or putting OOC: before them).
    • For spellcasters: I would like a list of spells memorized for the day posted in the thread.
    • Die rolling is done using Invisible Castle.
    • I will not give out XP. I will keep track of your XP in case you perform a task that requires to give up XP but I will simply tell you when you level up.
    • Please post your characters comments in a different color than default. I don't care if you use the same color every time, just make it in color.

If you decide to play, you'll be provided a gazetteer of Talingarde and a Player's Guide, which includes a list of crimes.
    Last edited by reveal; October 24th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

Workman Publishing Company
    225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

Province
    Anxiety Closet, Bloom County
    Oratio

Ignore User
    I do like playing PCs out for revenge , so I think I'm interested.
    I'm dealing with a lot of scary things. I think you have to react to them. And you either laugh at them or you go insane. Jim Butcher, Death Masks

"I love you and I love vanilla, but your family tastes like paper."

Personal Dream

That's two!
    If you participate in my Daily Trivia thread, do not look for the answer elsewhere and post it.

225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

I'll put this out there because it might help shape others' ideas about what sort of character they'll choose (party balance, etc.):

Taylor Lee, aka "Ty"
    Human Rogue 1 (NE)

Taylor.jpg

Ty is the third son (fifth child) of a minor Talingardian noble. He had no prospects of inheriting squat! He was apprenticed to The Brotherhood of the Gryphon as a lackey for their Chief Purser. He soon learned of opportunities for graft in the fetid society of grey-haired, too-fat Knights and began embezzling funds -- as well as boinking the Purser's eldest daughter, a stunning beauty with a predilection for bad boys. The young man had begun to put together a scheme to "liberate" the gilt-edged kilt belonging to Vastenus' great-grandfather. He had, in fact, secured the relic under the pretense of having its display (a shadow box whose frame was inlaid with platinum filagree and a braid of the Lord Fatbeard himself) "detailed" ahead of some pompous, flatulent ceremony that the Brothers had planned for an autumn holiday.

Unfortunately for Ty, he is more clever than he is wise. He bragged of his exploits (both of the monetary and the romantic sort) over a tankard of mead -- actually, six tankards of mead -- with a stable boy who had delusions that he could trade the secret for favors (like an extra day off).* Ty was arrested, tried and convicted. The Purser testified, as did the Purser's daughter (although Ty tells himself that she did so only under duress). Vastenus made a special point of attending the trial at sentencing. The magistrate threw the book at our brave rascal!**

Crime: High Theft

* The stable boy has not been seen in three weeks.
    ** The magistrate took delivery of an exquisite rosewood divan the day after the trial.

I'd like to try this. It would be an interesting departure

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Queenie and I are in like Flynn.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

Play By Post Games

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User

Gauging interest - Pathfinder PbP - Way of the Wicked (An Evil Campaign)

Ooohhhhhh I could play a sorcerer / magic user and actually get to use some of those fun usually off limits spells...
    "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Awesome.

So with five players, we'll make a go of it with room for one more person. I've started a Rules and Characters thread, so feel free to post your character info there. I've also PMed each of you the Player's Guide and gazetteer, so make sure to look them over and pick a crime. I would like to start this thing soon, perhaps this Friday or next Monday if everyone has their character's made by then.

http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/forum/s...and-Characters

225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    We just became the Linear Guild.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree... it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." Albert Einstein

Ruby Selari Molly

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Queenie View Post
    We just became the Linear Guild.

little boy blue.
    he needed da money
    -andrew dice clay
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Core does not mean the srd then correct? So no archetypes for Core classes?
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they will never sit under.

Play By Post Games

Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio

Ignore User
    you need a brute, Granmal. a NE barbarian who worships mor-ax (a duke of asmodeus). edit: see character thread for details.
    Last edited by diaglo; October 25th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

Quote Originally Posted by Fenris View Post
    Core does not mean the srd then correct? So no archetypes for Core classes?
    It doesn't mean the whole SRD is out, just the parts that aren't in the Core rulebook. I think it's easier to use the PRD, since it does a good job of breaking our Core and non-Core. And, yes, that means no archetypes.

http://paizo.com/prd/

225 Varick Street
    New York, NY 10014-4381
    212-254-5900 (phone)
    212-254-8098 (fax)
    info@workman.com

Province
    Long Island, NY
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    you need a brute. a NE barbarian who worships mor-ax (a duke of asmodeus). edit: convicted of kicking a puppy of lord falquad to death because it jumped up at him. edit2: half orc with +2 to str. great axe.
    Does that mean you're going to play with us?

Ruby Selari Molly

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast