Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 180

Thread: IRS Apologizes for Targeting Conservative Groups

  1. #76
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    I disapprove of the other side using tactics that my side adopted as well, because they're not my side, and I found an unfunny cartoon that explain why my feelings on this are more important than the IRS indimitating people based on their political beliefs -- which I find acceptable because those beliefs happens to be the ones of the other side, and fuck them, right? Also, I'm attempting to spin this despite the fact that the illegal inquiries of the IRS still failed to find sufficient evidence to be able to justify denying any petitions -- they just harrassed and delayed and chased a few people off. Honestly, this isn't a big deal, after all, it's legal to threaten voters in front of polling places so long as it's to support my side, so why should the IRS have the same abilities?
    Fixed this for the guy that got his 'what laws did they break' misdirection slammed back in his face.

 

  • #77
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,396

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    To date, nobody has given me a law that was broken where a jail sentence is the penalty.
    I gave you two. Still waiting for a response.
    I like hats.

  • #78
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,396

    Ignore User
    OK...well, so much for "it was just low level employees". A Top IRS Official To Take the Fifth. The Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation, and that the House committee has asked Lerner to explain why she provided “false or misleading information” to the committee four times last year.
    I like hats.

  • #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    OK...well, so much for "it was just low level employees". A Top IRS Official To Take the Fifth. The Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation, and that the House committee has asked Lerner to explain why she provided “false or misleading information” to the committee four times last year.
    Lying under oath is a big no, no.

  • #80
    toxic Xyxox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    8,633

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Lying under oath is a big no, no.
    Yep, it's definitely something she can be prosecuted over. 100% Civil Service employee and had held the position since January of 2006.

  • #81
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    So I just got done watching a recent episode of the Colbert Report and learned that there is no legal requirement to file a 501 c4 for tax exemption. Given the ephemeral nature of 501 c4's, it occurred to me that this might be a set-up. Are all these 501's even legitimate organisations or are they all just fronts created solely to cause this sort of scandal? Anyone in the US can start a 501 and can even have multiples of them so for all we know it could be five people who started 5,000 of them and submitted tax exempt claims in order to create the fiction of a scandal.

    Just throwing it out there as an idea to think about. The whole super-pac nonsense is absurd and seriously needs to be addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #82
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    So I just got done watching a recent episode of the Colbert Report and learned that there is no legal requirement to file a 501 c4 for tax exemption. Given the ephemeral nature of 501 c4's, it occurred to me that this might be a set-up. Are all these 501's even legitimate organisations or are they all just fronts created solely to cause this sort of scandal? Anyone in the US can start a 501 and can even have multiples of them so for all we know it could be five people who started 5,000 of them and submitted tax exempt claims in order to create the fiction of a scandal.

    Just throwing it out there as an idea to think about. The whole super-pac nonsense is absurd and seriously needs to be addressed.
    And this is what happens when you get your news primarily from Colbert. It's a comedy show, folks.

  • #83
    Friendly Coffee Kzach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Province
    Melbourne
    Oratio
    9,732

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    And this is what happens when you get your news primarily from Colbert. It's a comedy show, folks.
    God you're an idiot.

    Go look it the fuck up and then come back and apologise because you're stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Wickett View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I'm mostly with Spoony.

  • #84
    diaglo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Stoned Mtn, GA
    Oratio
    36,522

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    OK...well, so much for "it was just low level employees". A Top IRS Official To Take the Fifth. The Department of Justice has launched a criminal investigation, and that the House committee has asked Lerner to explain why she provided “false or misleading information” to the committee four times last year.

    npr this morning speculated she would plead the ollie north (5th) today in hearings.
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall.-- Mike Mearls

    I mean, I never GET any but that would be preferable. --Rel

  • #85
    Not a pony! GreyOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Vancouver
    Oratio
    9,982

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    And this is what happens when you get your news primarily from Colbert. It's a comedy show, folks.
    It's satire dumbass. Satire is political and social commentary, dressed up with humour.

  • #86
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,396

    Ignore User
    WashPost: Special Prosecutor Inevitable

    Also, Rep. Stephen Lynch, Democrat from Massachusetts, told an IRS witness today to stop stonewalling, “We know where that will lead, it will lead to a special prosecutor. … There will be hell to pay if that’s the route that we choose to go down,” he said.
    I like hats.

  • #87
    freaking RIPPED Rodrigo Istalindir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Province
    The Grand Duchy of Rodrigonia
    Oratio
    10,591

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo View Post
    npr this morning speculated she would plead the ollie north (5th) today in hearings.
    She didn't do it right. She made a statement and answered questions after being sworn in and then tried to assert the 5th. She's screwed herself, now.

  • #88
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodrigo Istalindir View Post
    She didn't do it right. She made a statement and answered questions after being sworn in and then tried to assert the 5th. She's screwed herself, now.
    I don't think it works that way. You don't waive your right against self-incrimination because you answer some questions and make a statement. Is it a dick move? Yes. Should she have been made to stay and repeatedly plead the fifth to every question? Yes. Did she maintain the right? Yes.

  • #89
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyOne View Post
    It's satire dumbass. Satire is political and social commentary, dressed up with humour.
    It's still a comedy show. That he uses satire on occasion or even mostly doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't get your news from a comedy show.

  • #90
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,092

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Kzach View Post
    God you're an idiot.

    Go look it the fuck up and then come back and apologise because you're stupid.
    I'd suggest you do the same and understand the actual issues rather than rely on a comedian to offer them to you.

  • Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •