Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: IRS Apologizes for Targeting Conservative Groups

Province
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    For me, the winner of the Irony Award for today goes to this:
    Obama said the improper behavior at the IRS was especially egregious "given the power that it has and the reach that it has into all of our lives."
    My Other Sword Is Vorpal

Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by PWD View Post
    And you wonder why you're getting the treatment. I'd just a link Ovi. Take it as what you will.
    I forgot you're not responsible for what you post. I am, obviously, but you aren't. It's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    I forgot you're not responsible for what you post. I am, obviously, but you aren't. It's cool.
    Read the link, consume the thoughts, derive a conclusion. Do what you will with it. I'm sure it'll be disingenuous, whatever you decide.
    Quote Originally Posted by nail bunny View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    I believe the hammer locking back is PWD's trigger warning.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Ya know, I just really don't get how this is a scandal or how anything at all was done wrong. After all, the tea party people have always claimed their "movement" included Democrats, Republicans and independents.

And how is the word "patriot" in any way partisan?

Also, they are claiming they are being targeted over politics, yet social welfare organizations under the regulations aren't supposed to be partisan. So, if their claims are accurate, they should never have been granted 501c4 status to begin with and targeting them was the right thing to do.

Just another ginned up "controversy" the GOP hopes to become a scandal.
    Last edited by Xyxox; May 19th, 2013 at 03:06 AM.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    Ya know, I just really don't get how this is a scandal or how anything at all was done wrong. After all, the tea party people have always claimed their "movement" included Democrats, Republicans and independents.

And how is the word "patriot" in any way partisan?
    You fail at civics. The IRS targetted organizations based solely on their politics, in violation of almost every clause of the 1st Amendment. What those politics are is irrelevant -- this would be as bad if it were 'progressive' instead of 'tea party' as a trigger word.

But go ahead, defend the IRS on this.

Also, they are claiming they are being targeted over politics, yet social welfare organizations under the regulations aren't supposed to be partisan. So, if their claims are accurate, they should never have been granted 501c4 status to begin with and targeting them was the right thing to do.
    How fucking ridiculous. Of course 501(c)(4)s can be partisan. They're even allowed to particiapte in campaigns without losing their tax-exempt status (so long as the campaigning is less than a certain fraction of thier expenditures -- and the campaigning expenditures are taxable as well). You're dipping into serious stupid territory in defending some whackjob IRS lackeys and thier inept leadership here.

Just another ginned up "controversy" the GOP hopes to become a scandal.
    This is the only one (so far) that really measures up to a scandal. Many people need to be fired, and some need to go to jail (the leader of that unit, for instance).

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    This is the only one (so far) that really measures up to a scandal. Many people need to be fired, and some need to go to jail (the leader of that unit, for instance).
    Someone must go to jail? Please, cite the law that was broken.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Someone must go to jail? Please, cite the law that was broken.
    US Constitution, Amendment 1.

I don't think you can be sent to jail for breaking the First Amendment, per se.
    Signatures are for losers.

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    1) How was the first amendment of the constitution violated? When undergoing the approval process as a 501c4 organization, applicants are allowed to operate as 501c4 organizations upon application and must only cease if that application is rejected, so nobody stopped anybody from expressing any opinions.

2) What is the penalty for violating the first amendment to the constitution? There is no penalty for that spelled out any where that I've been able to read, so again what law did anybody violate that they will face a potential jail sentence over? Wingnuts being pissed off is not an offense which carries any jail sentence.

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermicious Knid View Post
    Clear fail. They should have been targeting tea party groups with drones, not IRS investigations.
    Can not posrep.

"1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarbonac View Post
    Can not posrep.

You cannot give Dignitas to the same post twice.

Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thyme View Post
    I don't think you can be sent to jail for breaking the First Amendment, per se.
    So there's no repercussions to violating the supreme law of the land? Huh, I guess there's no point in following it, if there are no punishments for it.

Of course you can go to jail for violating the Constitution. They, as government employees, took oaths to support and defend. Violations of that can land you in jail.

1) How was the first amendment of the constitution violated? When undergoing the approval process as a 501c4 organization, applicants are allowed to operate as 501c4 organizations upon application and must only cease if that application is rejected, so nobody stopped anybody from expressing any opinions.
    Huh. I guess making black people take tests before voting is okay, so long as, at the end, you're going to let them vote anyway -- you're just not telling them this at the time. Oh, and the tests are asking them if they commit crimes, what the contents of the bank accounts are, bank statements for the last few years, who all their friends are -- with numbers and addresses, and what they pray for in Church on Sunday.

Who knew this was okay with you?

As for what parts of the 1st Amendment -- freedom of speech, freedom of associateion, freedom of press, and freedom of religion. Questions pertaining to all were asked with the result of a government benefit package in the balance.
    2) What is the penalty for violating the first amendment to the constitution? There is no penalty for that spelled out any where that I've been able to read, so again what law did anybody violate that they will face a potential jail sentence over? Wingnuts being pissed off is not an offense which carries any jail sentence.
    Again, a person that thinks there's no actual law behind the Constitution -- it can be violated at will with no repercussions. You scare me with your stupid, sometimes.

But check out US Code Title 5 Chapter 33 -- the Federal Oath of Office. This is a sworn statement, and violation of said is, at the least, perjury.

There are repercussions for Federal employees to do things like this, and they are reminded of them (or should be) at least anually.

• Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast