Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 180

Thread: IRS Apologizes for Targeting Conservative Groups

  1. #136
    toxic Xyxox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    8,633

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    And yet, in every case, you carry water for Obama. Nothing he does is independantly bad, but you're make noises about reducing the power of the Executive. Just not, you know, because of anything specific Obama did.
    All I have done is pointed out how what Obama is doing is no different from any other president. I pointed out that the legislation that made this shit legal for Obama was passed under the previous administration and supported by those who supported that previous administration.

    In fact, there was a single no vote against the USA PATRIOT Act in the Senate, Russ Feingold, and that vote was used to defeat Feingold's re-election efforts.

    And the same people who had no problems with Bush having this power are now up in arms because Obama has it.

    So you tell me, what is the difference now? Is it because instead of a fake Texas cowboy from Connecticut we have a Kenyan Muslim Socialist for a president?

 

  • #137
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,176

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    All I have done is pointed out how what Obama is doing is no different from any other president. I pointed out that the legislation that made this shit legal for Obama was passed under the previous administration and supported by those who supported that previous administration.

    In fact, there was a single no vote against the USA PATRIOT Act in the Senate, Russ Feingold, and that vote was used to defeat Feingold's re-election efforts.

    And the same people who had no problems with Bush having this power are now up in arms because Obama has it.

    So you tell me, what is the difference now? Is it because instead of a fake Texas cowboy from Connecticut we have a Kenyan Muslim Socialist for a president?
    Case in point.

  • #138
    So Xyxox, you've made it clear that you think that these surveillance programs should not be legal, but that they are legal, and therefore Obama is not legally doing anything wrong, and that from a historical perspective the continuation of the programs was predictable. I'm sure I agree. But out of curiosity, do you think what he's doing is morally wrong? After all, he doesn't have to use the powers granted by Congress. Maybe history predicted that he would, but he could have bucked the trend; he had a choice. What do you think? Morally, did he do wrong?
    Signatures are for losers.

  • #139
    I've been a Verizon customer nearly 10 years. They have probably been doing this before the FISA Amendments Act of 2008 passed. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if all the Telecoms have been doing the same thing as Verizon.
    Last edited by Devoid; June 7th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

  • #140
    toxic Xyxox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    8,633

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thyme View Post
    So Xyxox, you've made it clear that you think that these surveillance programs should not be legal, but that they are legal, and therefore Obama is not legally doing anything wrong, and that from a historical perspective the continuation of the programs was predictable. I'm sure I agree. But out of curiosity, do you think what he's doing is morally wrong? After all, he doesn't have to use the powers granted by Congress. Maybe history predicted that he would, but he could have bucked the trend; he had a choice. What do you think? Morally, did he do wrong?
    I absolutely believe what he's doing is morally wrong, and it sorely disappoints me. The only real way to redeem himself morally, IMO, is to call for the repeal of the USA PATRIOT Act and the Protect America Act, and then sign both repeals.

    Yes, what he is doing is absolutely wrong.

    Of course, maybe the best thing is for the Kenyan Muslim Socialist to be the one exercising these powers because it might make the people who supported this shit under the guy who cleared brush off his Texas ranch rethink their positions.

    During the time when this shit started going in place and the Bush supporters cheered it, my reaction was to say, "what will you say when Hillary has those powers?"

    Never support expanding powers for the Executive under a president you support that you would despise being in the hands of your worst nightmare for a president.

  • #141
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,409

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyxox View Post
    During the time when this shit started going in place and the Bush supporters cheered it, my reaction was to say, "what will you say when Hillary has those powers?"
    That she will look a damn sight sexier using those powers than either Bush or Obama did.
    I like hats.

  • #142
    toxic Xyxox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    8,633

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    That she will look a damn sight sexier using those powers than either Bush or Obama did.
    Can't...believe....Mistwell...went.....THERE!

  • #143
    toxic Xyxox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Province
    Aurora, IL
    Oratio
    8,633

    Ignore User
    This is taking an interesting twist...

    [h=Republican IRS agent says he instigated ‘Tea Party’ inquiries]1[/h]By Reuters
    Monday, June 10, 2013 1:37 EDT

    By David Morgan and Kim Dixon


    WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A U.S. Internal Revenue Service manager, who described himself as a conservative Republican, told congressional investigators that he and a local colleague decided to give conservative groups the extra scrutiny that has prompted weeks of political controversy.


    In an official interview transcript released on Sunday by Democratic Representative Elijah Cummings, the manager said he and an underling set aside “Tea Party” and “patriot” groups that had applied for tax-exempt status because the organizations appeared to pose a new precedent that could affect future IRS filings.

    <snip>
    More

  • #144
    Religipster Enkhidu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Dayton
    Oratio
    7,101

    Ignore User
    Issa's not done, I think. Lerner taking the fifth is the proverbial bone that he can't stop gnawing.

    I think that when everything is said and done, Lerner will be guilty of trying to cover up this activity, but that the whole thing was started by bureaucrats.

  • #145

  • #146
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,409

    Ignore User
    This seems to add an element to this issue....

    http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/07/co...rgeted-by-irs/

    IRS agents’ testimony: NO progressive groups were targeted by IRS

    IRS agents testified before Congress that the agency’s political targeting did not apply to progressive groups as Democrats and the media have claimed, according to a bombshell new staff report prepared by the House Oversight Committee chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa.

    IRS agents testified before Oversight that ACORN groups were scrutinized because the agency thought they were old organizations applying as new ones. Emerge America was scrutinized for potential “improper private benefit.” No evidence exists that the IRS requested additional information from any Occupy Wall Street group.

    “Only seven applications in the IRS backlog contained the word ‘progressive,’ all of which were then approved by the IRS, while Tea Party groups received unprecedented review and experienced years-long delays. While some liberal-oriented groups were singled out for scrutiny, evidence shows it was due to non-political reasons,” according to the Oversight staff report, which was obtained by The Daily Caller.

    “[T]he Administration and congressional Democrats have seized upon the notion that the IRS’s targeting was not just limited to conservative applicants,” the report states. “These Democratic claims are flat-out wrong and have no basis in any thorough examination of the facts. Yet, the Administration’s chief defenders continue to make these assertions in a concerted effort to deflect and distract from the truth about the IRS’s targeting of tax-exempt applicants.”

    “[T]here is simply no evidence that any liberal or progressive group received enhanced scrutiny because its application reflected the organization’s political views,” the report stated.
    I like hats.

  • #147
    That's Wacist! Mistwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    Los Angeles, CA
    Oratio
    26,409

    Ignore User
    IRS waited until now to tell Congress whoops, they "lost" over two years of Lerner's emails.
    I like hats.

  • #148
    %0 correct Scarbonac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio
    4,696

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    This seems to add an element to this issue....

    http://dailycaller.com/2014/04/07/co...rgeted-by-irs/

    IRS agents’ testimony: NO progressive groups were targeted by IRS
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...medium=twitter

    New Records: IRS Targeted Progressive Groups More Extensively Than Tea Party


    A series of IRS documents, provided to ThinkProgress under the Freedom of Information Act, appears to contradict the claims by Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) and his House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that only Tea Party organizations applying for tax-exempt status “received systematic scrutiny because of their political beliefs.” The 22 “Be On the Look Out” keywords lists, distributed to staff reviewing applications between August 12, 2010 and April 19, 2013, included more explicit references to progressive groups, ACORN successors, and medical marijuana organizations than to Tea Party entities.
    "1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

  • #149
    Pony Up! Ovinomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Province
    The Paddock
    Oratio
    28,176

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarbonac View Post
    http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...medium=twitter

    New Records: IRS Targeted Progressive Groups More Extensively Than Tea Party


    A series of IRS documents, provided to ThinkProgress under the Freedom of Information Act, appears to contradict the claims by Rep. Darrell Issa (R-CA) and his House Oversight and Government Reform Committee that only Tea Party organizations applying for tax-exempt status “received systematic scrutiny because of their political beliefs.” The 22 “Be On the Look Out” keywords lists, distributed to staff reviewing applications between August 12, 2010 and April 19, 2013, included more explicit references to progressive groups, ACORN successors, and medical marijuana organizations than to Tea Party entities.
    Not news, and the headline takeaway is only true if you look at it in a very narrow view -- there appeared keywords that indicated more progressive groups than tea party ones, but only tea party groups actually received extra scrutiny and only tea party groups had additional burdens placed on them and only tea party groups were delayed unnecessarily by the IRS. So, yeah, you found a really nice spin piece that it reviving an old spin attempt anew with the phantom of 'new information.'

  • #150
    %0 correct Scarbonac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio
    4,696

    Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovinomancer View Post
    blahblahblahblahblah
    That's better.
    "1 out of 3 Trump supporters is as stupid as the other 2"

  • Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •