Page 1 of 46 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: How's those Guns in the Classroom working out for ya, Texas?

Province
    Where the trees are the right height!
    Oratio

Ignore User

How's those Guns in the Classroom working out for ya, Texas?

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/20...hool-shooting/

[h=Multiple People Wounded In Texas School Shooting]1[/h]By Igor Volsky on Jan 22, 2013 at 2:15 pm
    At least two people were shot in a shooting at Lone Star College in north Houston, Texas. Witnesses on the scene say the shooting may have escalated after a heated argument, possibly over a bad grade. Both victims have “multiple gun shot wounds,” ABC13 reports, and are in serious condition. They will be brought into surgery at Ben Taub General Hospital. One of the victims — who was shot in the leg — is a school employee. The other, a younger student, was found on the ground unconscious, with his eyes closed.
    The college, as well as other neighboring schools, are on lock down. Lone Star College has been evacuated.
    Witnesses report hearing at least 5 gunshots and say there may be two shooters, one of whom is in police custody. The shooter may also have been injured. Another shooter ran from the library into an administrative building and may have fled the scene into a wooded area. 10 ATF agents are on the way to help search for a second gunman.
    Ben Taub General Hospital officials don’t expect to receive any more serious patients.

America. Fueled by Cancer.

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Not so hot, apparently...

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    [goddammit]

I'm not much of a "more guns in schools" fan, but this incident is basically beside the point. No serious person has claimed that armed guards/teachers can stop all shootings, because there's necessarily some reaction time involved. The idea is aimed at stopping the sort of long, drawn out rampages that tend to enter the national consciousness.
    Signatures are for losers.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    There aren't enough details to know if this incident helps either side of the debate.

We should just be glad things don't seem to be escalating, beyond what has been reported so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Apparently, it was an argument between two guys instead of a lone random shooter. I figured Texas still had some 'pistols at dawn, sirrah' meadows set aside for that sort of thing.

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Whenever something like Newtown happens, you get a wave of copy-cat incidents. It just draws the crazy out.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

Province
    Liverpool, UK
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by WayneLigon View Post
    Apparently, it was an argument between two guys instead of a lone random shooter. I figured Texas still had some 'pistols at dawn, sirrah' meadows set aside for that sort of thing.
    You know when two people in the UK have a explosive argument it ends in fistycuffs, in the US it ends in a shootout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Oliver View Post
    Damn you and your perfectly valid criticism!

Province
    Beverly, MA
    Oratio

Ignore User

Re: How's those Guns in the Classroom working out for ya, Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by kirinke View Post
    Whenever something like Newtown happens, you get a wave of copy-cat incidents. It just draws the crazy out.
    Your dictionary is very broken. Please re-acquaint yourself with the actual definitions of the words "frequency" (implied, not used, in your post), "wave" and "copy-cat".

Province
    To the left of reality. Behind reason. Right next to the backside of beyond.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Quote Originally Posted by FickleGM View Post
    Your dictionary is very broken. Please re-acquaint yourself with the actual definitions of the words "frequency" (implied, not used, in your post), "wave" and "copy-cat".
    Leastways, that is how it seems to me right now. Might be wrong, might not be.
    Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

I is before E except after C, then it's chaos man, mass chaos! Letters coming together into words, but then you go English and they put U's in places that just shouldn't go there... AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

My sanity left town along time ago and didn't leave a forwarding address. It's not missed.

This sort of incident happens daily in Houston, this one was only exceptional because of the venue. Two dispshits getting into a fight and drawing down on each other doesn't normally even make the news.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    This sort of incident happens daily in Houston, this one was only exceptional because of the venue. Two dispshits getting into a fight and drawing down on each other doesn't normally even make the news.
    There's definitely a racial divide in school shootings. White people go on random killing sprees. Black people get into arguments and whip out the pistols. Just a culture thing, I suppose.
    Signatures are for losers.

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    It's only exceptional because everyone's awareness is heightened since a a batch precious little mostly-white angels were gunned-down in a sleepy little town in Connecticut, and every "gun crime" since is being jumped on by the Talking Head Brigade as a Crime Of The Century. Feh. When we were living in DC, my wife would get reports (via the Bus-To-Work Telegraph) of almost daily school shootings, which weren't carried in the news, because, you know, inner-city black kids.

I know, right? If the media reported every time someone shot someone else in public people might start thinking we have a problem with gun violence in this country.

Province
    It is a Mystery.
    Oratio

Ignore User
    Do we really have a "problem" with "gun violence"? 300+ million people, most jammed into cities like rats in cages, 100 or so million are gun owners -- in 2010 there were 8,775 homicides by firearm*. Number of overall deaths: 2,468,435.**

*More than 5 times that number died of the flu**.

**CDC FASTSTATS

• Page 1 of 46 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast